Real Answers For Real People With Real Problems

  1. Home
  2.  | Guardianships

Are You Seeking The Guardianship Of A Minor Child?

Child custody issues are always complex affairs with high emotional stakes. When the party seeking custody is a nonparent, the issues are even more complex and potentially contentious.

When a child is at risk due to factors such as substance abuse or mental illness on the part of a parent, it may be in that child’s best interests to place them with a grandparent or another third party. That party lacks the legal authority, however, to make important decisions regarding the child unless they obtain a guardianship. If you are in such a situation, obtaining a guardianship will give you the legal authority you need to care for and protect the child.

At The Law Office of Shauna T. Hagan, LLC, we are prepared to handle any child custody matter in Delaware, including those in which a grandparent or another third party seeks guardianship over a minor child. Attorney Shauna T. Hagan is an experienced and compassionate ally who works tirelessly to protect the rights of her clients and the minor children at the heart of these difficult disputes.

Termination Of Parental Rights

If a grandparent or another third party seeks guardianship over the child, that party must first seek to terminate the parent’s rights. For a parent’s rights to be terminated, there must be compelling evidence of abuse, neglect or other factors that put the child’s safety and well-being at risk. This is a serious, sensitive and momentous action so cannot be taken lightly. We can help you understand how Delaware laws concerning the termination of parental rights apply in your situation.

Helping You Help Your Loved One

We are here to provide you with the skilled legal guidance you need to do what is right for a cherished minor child in your life. To arrange a legal consultation with a knowledgeable family law attorney in Wilmington, contact our law firm online or by telephone at (302) 321-6489.